Tuesday, April 28, 2026

Marie NDiaye's Quotes




"I know I won’t call out for any of my characters on my deathbed."

INTERVIEWER

But surely you read each novel countless times, going through multiple drafts⁠—you never think about your characters once you’re finished with them? 

NDIAYE

Never. That anecdote about Balzac, that just before his last breath he called for Doctor Bianchon⁠—I find it astonishing. I know I won’t call out for any of my characters on my deathbed. 

In any case, I rarely go back over what I’ve written. There are no drafts. I revise very little. 

 

 

--

 

INTERVIEWER

So how do you write? 

NDIAYE

You mean literally? 

INTERVIEWER

Yes. Do you have a ritual or routine? 

NDIAYE

Well, I sit over there, at the table, or maybe in bed. Or not in bed, but on my bed. I don’t need an office, just my computer. It’s okay if I’m interrupted⁠—if the phone rings, say. It doesn’t bother me to be bothered. When the children were still little, I was interrupted all the time. Mostly, back then, I worked during their school hours, but I maintained a similar kind of discipline even after they left home. My working sessions have always been short, about two hours, so they must be two very productive hours. After that, I feel I can go no further. 

 

 

(From The Paris Review: Marie NDiaye, The Art of Fiction No. 268)

No comments:

Post a Comment